warren

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf
Ben Hogan, Anthony Ravielli
Roosevelt's Centurions: FDR & the Commanders He Led to Victory in World War II
Joseph E. Persico
Closest Companion: The Unknown Story of the Intimate Friendship Between Franklin Roosevelt and Margaret Suckley
Geoffrey Ward
Salinger
David Shields, Shane Salerno
The Cat Whisperer: Why Cats Do What They Do--and How to Get Them to Do What You Want - Mieshelle Nagelschneider Disclosure: I received an advance copy of this book for review. There was no contract other than a request that I write a review. No payment was made to me for doing this, other than the receipt of the book.

Millions of cats are needlessly euthanized every year due to behavioral issues. Some people take them to the vet; others drop them off at animal shelters where they will be put down after a short time waiting for an adoption that never comes.

This book as an attempt to help the reader understand why cats may behave in undesired ways and how to rectify the situation. From a young age Mieshelle had an affinity for understanding cat psychology. Starting as a vet tech she perfected her ideas and now has over 33,000 hours of experience in cat behavior analysis. She claims almost 100% success in most issues, and over 90% in others.

For that alone, if you are struggling with a cat “pooping outside the litterbox” issue, this book probably warrants a read.

The book outlines how we project our feelings into what cats think, and how we are totally off in understanding what they actually are thinking.

Chapter 2 helps outline how the successive chapters will be laid out, so that the reader can skip ahead to the (probable) reason they bought the book.

There is a lot of “how to” of dealing with new cat introductions, cat antisocial behavior and other problem behaviors. And there is even some cool stuff on training your cat to do simple tricks (the author has a soft spot for the “high five”.)

I only have a couple criticisms of the book.

The first is that there was a lot of space used in the beginning for the author’s backstory. It was all very interesting and helpful for the reader to realize that this is someone you should possibly pay attention to, but it was a lot. Like 20% of the book.

I also think that her methodology of introducing two cats would take too long and possibly freak out a cat stuck in one room even more than just introducing the cats in the beginning.

And finally (and this isn’t really a criticism per se) the book doesn’t seem to be written for someone to read straight through. You probably wouldn’t in a real-world situation since Fluffy shredding the drapes is different than Patches spraying.

If you’ve read this far, there is also a graphic description of how cats are declawed. I did it in the past, but now that I really understand I’ll never consider it again. Sorry about that one, Sparky. At least you never held it against me.

*Interestingly, the day after I finished a book on animal behavior, it was eaten by my dog. Really.